Monday, September 22, 2008

The Month At a Glance

I have not written in my blog for a while. I have been so busy. I got a new assistant. She is really dope, but I need two more, seriously.

As you know, I was starting an event planning company which my partner named after himself. I still agreed to be a partner which shows how humble I am, but I decided to back out of it because my partner didn't respect my opinion, and whenever I gave a suggestion he would knock it down. I think my partner wanted to be in control. He needed to be a sole proprietor, instead. Next...

Partnerships are important to me because I realize that you can only do so much by yourself. Successful people are surrounded by a team and everybody plays their position. After this experience, I asked around to see what makes a successful partnership. No one had an answer, but someone referred me to a book written by the partners of Amway-duly noted.

I was extremely disappointed about the event planning company when another DJ suggested that I start a PR company since I have done such a great job promoting myself. In law school, career counselors often referred to public relations as an alternative career to practicing law.

I learned a hard lesson. I hired a PR company, and they were full of shit-taking me to events that I can get into by myself. In fact, one time, I had to get my non-aggressive PR rep into a party. I'm trying to go to Sundance not a DSA Media event. WTF!! Why did I hire them-I could do a better job.

I took the DJs advice and started a PR Company. A good friend of mine mentioned that she was doing PR for models so I asked her to be a partner. Then there was another young lady who I have socialized with over the past year-very articulate and presentable so I asked her to be the other partner.

Over the past month, I have been trying to guide my assistant, and delegate duties to partners in order to make this company successful. Our first event is on 10/1 and it has truly been a test. The weak links were exactly who I thought they were, and they failed 10 days before the event. Why? They didn't listen or think reasonably, always had an excuse, and could not handle guidance or criticism.

By no means am I perfect, and I have made mistakes but one thing that I realize is when someone's heart is not into something they always have a excuse as to why they can't complete a simple task. e.g. "I'm sick", "I can't", or "I don't know." I have no time for bullshitters. I bullshitted in Corporate America because my heart was not in it so I know bullshit excuses-I used to use those excuses above including "I didn't get the email." and "My computer is slow". I have no time for people who fail before they start. The bottom line is let's get the job done, and we don't take "no" for an answer. I love the hustle, and I work through thick and thin, rain or shine, and even if I have the sniffles.

I refuse to have a company that doesn't meet deadlines and is not relentless in achieving client goals! The majority of black businesses that I encounter are full of shit. I am not going to be one of them.

You know it is truly hard being a woman in this industry. I am feeling the struggle. A industry co-worker emailed me and said, "You are an ambitious girl, but..." Girl? This is coming from a 24 year old male from the suburbs who is an office assistant. He truly had his nerve, and I put him in his place.

Everyone should just let my team and I do us. My team roster is finalized-Jason, Olivia, TLAPR, Sharonda, Josh and Excel, and it is comprised of nerds, with stellar educations from school and/or life experience, who are gogetters who "follow through" with no excuses to the end. Don't worry about what we're doing-just do you. I can't do business with flakes anymore.

On another tip, DJing is going well for the month of September. As you know, Shogun and I, had our second installment of "Back to the 90s." I DJed at the Pristine Style Magazine Launch and Rock Me TV which were all good looks! And, save the date for October 1, 2008.

By reading this, I hope you don't think I am bitter. I'm happy. I am just tired of people wasting my time. And, from now on I am going to be very choosey with whom I choose do business.

No comments: